Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Values

When it comes to my beliefs and my values, I would have to say that I am someone with some pretty strong morals and values. I was raised in a Catholic family and attended a private Catholic school for all 12 years of school, so the church is what shaped my values as I grew up. I have seen my values in action from my parents. They have been married for 27 years and I think they have raised my sister and I well. Knowing where I get my values is important because I can look at my family when I am questioning my beliefs. Anyways one value that I think is most important is to be kind to all people. The Golden Rule is to treat others the way you want to be treated. I know at times it is very hard for me to live by this standard, but you never know why a person is the way they are or what their life circumstances may be. I think it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice :-)

I played sports in high school and one important lesson I learned was to know who you represent. Since this class does have to do with greek life, I think this is an important lesson especially now. When I am out in public and I am wearing my letters, or anything that lets people know I am in the greek community, I know I am a direct reflection of them. I want to be a positive representation of myself, my family, and everything else that I may have the ability to represent. I guess then you could say I value appearances and the opinions of others. I value my friends and my family, as well as my education. I value constructive criticism and helpful and friendly advice. I place a lot of value in respect. There are many people I don't like and many views I don't agree with, however I respect them and that makes it possible for me to coexist with people who are different from me.

I think the most important thing about values is to know where yours come from. If you think about it, you learn values from the way you grow up. And every single person is different and grew up in a different way. So it would make sense then that we all value different things and for different reasons. It's difficult to remember that some times, but I think it is our resposibility as leaders and productive members of society to try to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment