Thursday, May 5, 2011

Congruence

Walking around 15th avenue and stopping every person in greek letters really taught me a lot. Many of the greeks my group and I stopped were really excited to have a chance to talk about their chapter or organization to people who were pretty much clueless on those subjects. However, when we asked them the actual questions, they were confused. When asked 'what does your chapter spend most it's time doing?' I got a lot of laughs. That question really made these greeks sit and think. Truth is a lot of them wanted to say themed gatherings or parties and socials, but most of them realize the stereotypes that swirl around their organizations and they were hesitant to say partying is the thing they spend their time doing. Even when I was asking one of my sisters, she said TG's, sisterhoods, and philanthropy, but she stopped herself and told me to reverse the order. When I asked a gentleman in the Evans Scholars, he said parties then sports and cleaning then laughed and gave me an answer that didn't even include partying. Almost everyone I talked to gave me answers that tried to gloss over partying because they're defensive of their chapter and the greek system as a whole. I think that was really interesting. So many people think greek life is just like the movie Animal House. Yes we do throw parties and no we are not out there raising funds for our philanthropy's every day, but greek life is still an outstanding organization that is constantly thrown under the bus. I can't tell you how many people I have talked to and told I'm in a sorority and they make fun of me and say I've joined the drinking club. I think the answers I got from these greeks says they feel the same way. They didn't want to be completely honest with me on what their chapter spends its time doing because they don't want to be judged or stereotyped.
I think this exercise speaks volumes about where greek life is, and where they would like to go! I know I would like to tell people I was in Alpha Chi Omega and have them think more of me, not think I spent my college years drunk and scrapping by with my grades. I want greek life to be something that attracts and maintains the best of the best. I already feel like greek life does attract the best of the best, but I want everyone from the outside to feel that way too! The protective nature of the individuals I interviewed tells me that they want the same thing and they are sick of the stereotypes as well. I liked doing this exercise and seeing what other chapters hold near and dear to them. It was a cool experience and I felt like it put the class into perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment